Macbuntu in 15 minPosted: December 23, 2010
Apple’s Mac OS X is well known for its awesome looks ! Sadly, you can’t obtain it if you don’t have a Macintosh Computer.
There are a few alternatives. I chose Macbuntu. It is clean, free and can be installed upon Ubuntu ! It installs all the necessary apps, icons and other resources to make your desktop look just like OS X !
1. You still work on your good ol’ Ubuntu machine, but with stunning looks !
2. Seamless transition between your GNOME desktop looks and the new mac look.
3. Its free and seems to be stable.
4. You get a nice dock, just like a mac !
1. This article is about installing Macbuntu looks on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). If you’re using a different version of Ubuntu, please modify the suitable commands.
2. GNOME desktop environment.
3. Willingness to exchange simplistic looks to flashy ones.
The Macbuntu project is hosted at
. To install macbuntu, follow these instructions:
wget https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/macbuntu/macbuntu-10.10/v2.3/Macbuntu-10.10.tar.gz -O /tmp/Macbuntu-10.10.tar.gz
tar xzvf /tmp/Macbuntu-10.10.tar.gz -C /tmp cd /tmp/Macbuntu-10.10/ ./install.sh
You can select what to install/modify in the installation process.
After everything gets installed, restart your computer. You’d have a wonderful Mac OSX-looking Ubuntu. Enjoy !!
Note: If you do not have Compiz installed on your ubuntu, you won’t see the visual effects. You can always download compiz and compiz-core from the Ubuntu Software Center.
If you’re upgrading from an older version of Macbuntu, replace the
If OSX looks are too flashy for you, you can always uninstall it using the uninstall script.